Tuesday 11 November 2014

Red Mountain

Sadly, the Stretch is winding down. We left Flagstaff for the Grand Canyon this morning, with a little exercise stop halfway. We went to Red Mountain, a cinder volcano with an area out the side that blew out (or so we think). Ed basically let us loose to go exploring, which was pretty sweet.

Alas, we made it to the Grand Canyon. I had never seen it before, and a mixture of excitement, wonder, and anxiety filled me. The excitement was a result of seeing the canyon live up to its expectation portrayed through media and stories. The wonder came in comparison to all the other canyons we saw and seeing how this one was SO much larger. What forces and time were at work to create such a canyon. And the anxiety, well, it was in response to my realization that I'm walking to the bottom and back tomorrow: the longest hike I have done in my life.

Let's do it!





No comments:

Post a Comment